What are the dimensions of the unit?
- The dimensions of the VOS and HURON models are 9'-6"W x 11'-2"D x 10'-7"H
- The dimensions of the PREMIER and MONARCH models are 12'-6"W x 8'-6"D x 11'-6"H
Does the Bunkie require a building permit?
- No, the depth and width of all Bunkie models has been designed specifically to avoid the requirement for a building permit.
- Local zoning bylaws can still have precedence, we advise all clients to check with their local zoning bylaws
How is the Bunkie Shipped?
- The Bunkie is prefabricated, flat packed and shipped via delivery truck
- In the case of long distance and overseas orders, shipping is available to the nearest freight depot
What type of foundation does it sit on?
- We propose different options depending on the site:
- For PREMIER and MONARCH, a concrete pad 12'L x 8'W x 8"H, 4" submerged in the ground and with integrated re-bar
- For VOS and HURON, a concrete pad 9'L x 10'-8"W x 8"H, 4" submerged in the ground and with integrated re-bar
- Sonotubes with pressure treated wooden cross members
- "Grade beams" (either concrete curbs or pressure-treated 4 x 4s on beds of tamped limestone screening
What are the R&U Ratings? (Walls, Base, Ceiling, Windows, Door)
- R factors: Walls - R24 / Ceiling - R24 / Base - R24
- The walls and base are treated typically with Roxul batt insulation
- U Factors: Windows & Doors - U0.28
What type of plywood is used?
- The Bunkie is made of Canadian fir and spruce structural plywood. The interior is made from Maple faced formaldehyde-free Purebond plywood and veneer core decorative panelling
Does the chimney detail create any snow load or water issues?
- The roof has been structurally engineered to exceed snow load requirements at every point in the multi-faceted CNC cut profile
- The roof design features an integrated cricket to ensure proper runoff
What type of Roof Finishing does it have?
- The roof is clad with the same material that is chosen for the wall cladding. Beneath the cladding there is an impermeable, waterproof drainage membrane
Does The Bunkie have ventilation?
- Ventilation is through a large tilt-turn window. Cross ventilation is achieved by using the tilt-turn window in unison with the entrance door - a retractable screen may be purchased for an additional fee
What is the size of the Murphy bed?
- The Bunkie accommodates a Queen Size Murphy Bed (80"L x 60"W)
- Mattress is not included
Is there an upper loft bed?
- Currently only one wall bed is being offered
- We are not offering an upper loft bed at the moment due to structural requirements, further details will be provided when available.
Do both glass walls have a door?
- One side of The Bunkie has an entrance door, the other side comes equipped with a tilt-turn window that also has the ability to function as a door. Note: You must request to remove the standard tilt-turn window screen if you wish to use it as a door
Where is the kitchen?
- The Bunkie has been designed as an auxiliary building to an existing home, we do not provide solutions for running water at this time
- You may purchase a basic Bunkie with no features and work with your own contractor to customize
Can multiple Bunkies be joined together?
- It is possible to purchase two Bunkies, install them separately and connect them visually with a breezeway, deck and/or trellis
- Please visit our Gallery for inspiration
Where is the bathroom?
- The Bunkie has been designed as an auxiliary building to an existing home. We do not provide solutions for running water at this time
- However if you were to purchase two Bunkies, one could be used as a kitchen / bathroom and the other for sleeping/playing
- A composting toilet is a viable option, please contact us for recommendations
Does the ethanol fireplace require ventilation?
- The ethanol fireplace is a standalone unit that does not require ventilation or a fuel line